IRCTC train ticket refund rules: Everything you need to know
Here are the refund rules to help you in case you are cancelling your train ticket. Indian Railways have very strict rules for the refund on cancellation of e-tickets, Tatkal tickets and RAC tickets.
New Delhi: Indian Railways have very stringent rules regarding refund of booking amount on ticket cancellation. Sometimes, passengers have to change their travel plans at the last moment due to poor weather, family obligations, health issues or other reasons. If you are cancelling your train tickets at the last moment then you must be aware of refund rules of Indian railways.
One must be aware of the IRCTC refund rules in order to claim their refund and save money in case of ticket cancellation. Here are the ticket cancellation rules as per the IRCTC official website which explains how and when you can get a refund on ticket cancellation.
- A cancellation fee of Rs 240 AC first class/executive class, Rs 200 for AC 2 tier/first class, Rs 180 for AC 3 tier/AC chair car/ AC 3 economy, Rs 120 for sleeper class and Rs 60 for second class per passenger will be charged if a confirmed ticket is cancelled more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train.
- 25 per cent of the fare will be charged if a confirmed ticket is cancelled within 48 hours and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train.
- 50% of the fare paid will be deducted subject to the minimum cancellation charges if a confirmed ticket is cancelled less than 12 hours and upto four hours before the scheduled departure of the train up to chart preparation which is earlier.
- No refund is admissible on the tickets having confirmed reservation if the ticket is not cancelled or TDR not filed online up to four hours before the scheduled departure of the train.
- No refund is permissible on RAC e-tickets in case the ticket is not cancelled or TDR not filed online up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.
- In case, on a party e-ticket or family e-ticket issued for travel of more than one passenger, some passengers have confirmed reservation while others are on RAC or waiting list, full refund of fare, less processing fees, shall be admissible for confirmed passengers on the condition that the ticket shall be cancelled online or TDR shall be filed online for all the passengers up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.
- For Tatkal ticket cancellation, the refund is admissible in five cases –
- If the train is delayed by more than 3 hours at the journey originating point of the passenger.
- If the train is to run on a diverted route and passenger is not willing to travel
- If the train is to run on diverted route and boarding station or the destination or both the stations are not on the diverted route.
- In case of non-attachment of coach in which Tatkal accommodation has been earmarked.
- In case the passenger has been accommodated in a lower class and he does not want to travel.
- For contingent cancellation and wait listed Tatkal ticket cancellations, charges will be deducted as per Railway rules. If the Tatkal ticket is in waiting then some amount will be deducted while the rest will be refunded to the customer. Partial cancellation is allowed on Tatkal e-tickets.