1. Annual return :- GSTR 9 is annual return.
Annual return to be filed yearly by taxpayers registered under GST.
2. GSTR 9 Consists of the outward and inward supplies made/received during the relevant previous year under different tax heads i.e. CGST, SGST & IGST and HSN codes
3. GSTR 9 is a consolidation of all the monthly/quarterly returns (GSTR-1, GSTR-2A, GSTR-3B) filed in that year.
gst annual return
GSTR 9 is optional
Filling of GSTR 9 is not required for business entity having less than 2 crores turnover. So GSTR 9 is optional.
GSTR 9 is compulsory.
Filling of GSTR 9 is mandatory for whose business turnover having 2 crores or more.
However, the following are NOT required to file GSTR 9:
- Taxpayers opting composition scheme (They must file GSTR-9A)
- Casual Taxable Person
- Input service distributors
- Non-resident taxable persons
- Persons paying TDS under section 51 of CGST Act.
gstr 9 due date
Due dates for filling of gstr 9 for financial year 2017 -2018 is 31st January 2020.
Due dates for filling of gstr 9 for financial year 2018 -2019 is 31st march 2020.
Late fee and penalty
- The late fees for not filing the GSTR 9 within the due date is Rs 100 per day, per act. That means late fees of Rs 100 under CGST and Rs 100 under SGST will be applicable in case of delay.
- Thus, the total liability is Rs 200 per day of default. This is subject to a maximum of 0.25% of the taxpayer’s turnover in the relevant state or union territory. However, there is no late fee on IGST yet.
Here are the details required to be filled in the GSTR-9?
GSTR-9 is divided into 6 parts and 19 sections. Each part asks for details that are easily available from your previously filed returns and books of accounts.
- Broadly, this form asks for disclosure of annual sales, bifurcating it between the cases that are subject to tax and not subject to tax.
- On the purchase side, the annual value of inward supplies and ITC availed thereon is to be revealed.
- Furthermore, these purchases have to be classified as inputs, input services, and capital goods. Details of ITC that needs to be reversed due to ineligibility is to be entered.
gstr 9 format
gstr 9 format are two types of offline in Excel sheet and online
Steps to be taken:
- Click on ‘Prepare Online’;
- Select from the questionnaire page, whether you wish to file NIL Annual return;
- You may download the draft system generated GSTR-9, summary of GSTR-1 and summary of GSTR-3B from GSTR-9 dashboard for your reference;
- If number of records/lines are less than or equal to 500 records per table (Table 17 and Table 18), then you may use this facility;
- Fill in the details in different tables and click on ‘Compute Liabilities’; and
- Click on ‘Proceed to file’ and ‘File GSTR-9’ with DSC/EVC.
- Additional liability, if any declared in this return can be paid through Form GST DRC-03 by selecting ‘Annual Return’ from the dropdown in the said form. Such liability can be paid only through cash.
If number of records/lines either in Table-17 or Table-18 are more than 500 records per table, then you can prepare your return by using the offline utility only and the same can be subsequently uploaded on Common Portal.
You can download the GSTR-9 offline tool from the ‘Downloads’ section in the pre-login page on the portal and installed it on your computer.
- Click on ‘Prepare Offline’;
- Click on ‘Download’ to download auto-drafted GSTR-9 details, if any;
- Follow instructions in ‘GSTR-9 offline tool’ to add details and generate JSON file for upload; and
- Click on ‘Upload’ to upload JSON file and file the return with help of instruction available on GSTR-9 dashboard.
|1. The Excel based GSTR-9 Offline Tool is designed to help taxpayer to prepare his GSTR-9 return offline|
|2. Details for following Tables of GSTR-9 return can be added by taxpayer using the offline Tool. It is not Mandatory to fill data in all worksheets. The worksheet for which no details then need to be declared, it can be left blank.
6. ITC Availed
7. ITC Rev
8. Other ITC
9. Tax Paid
10. PY trans in current FY
14. Differential Tax
15. Demand & Refunds
16. Comp DS & Goods sent on appr
17. HSN Outward
18. HSN Inward
|3. The Offline tool has following features in ‘Home’ sheet to help taxpayer in Return Preparation
a. Open Downloaded GSTR9 JSON File: To import records from downloaded JSON file. The details would be populated to respective table wise worksheets.Upon successful import of file the details would be
populated to respective table wise worksheets.
b. Generate JSON File to Upload : To generate JSON file for upload of GSTR-7 return details prepared offline on GST portal
c. Open downloaded error JSON file : To open file downloaded from GST portal from the ‘Processed with error’ link. The downloaded zipped folder consists of two JSON files. Unzip the file and use this button to
open both the JSON files together in a single click by selecting both the files. Upon successful import of both the files both the details processed with errors and successfully would be populated to
respective table wise worksheets. Please refer ‘Handling Error’ section for details
d.Validate Sheet: To Validate the data entered in respective worksheet of this offline Tool. Successful validation is notified to Taxpayer via pop-up while on failure of validation the cells that fail
validation would be marked in Red.
|4. The high level process flow for GSTR-9 return preparation is as follows
a. Validate the details filled in various tables using ‘validate’ button at the top of every sheet.
b. Generate JSON using ‘Generate JSON File to Upload’ option
c. Upload the generated JSON on GST Portal. Preview the details uploaded and File return on the GST portal
d. Open saved version (Yes/No):- If you select ‘No’ option then previously saved data not visible and if you select ‘Yes’ then saved data will be available in the respective worksheets
|Preparing GSTR-9 return Using Offline Tool|
|1. Please ensure you download the latest version of GSTR-9 Offline Tool from the GST portal. https://www.gst.gov.in/download/returns
2. Launch the GSTR-9 Excel based Offline Tool a pop up (Open saved version – Yes/No) would appear and navigate to worksheet named ‘Home’
a. On click of ‘Yes’ any previously saved data in the offline tool will be available.
b. On click of ‘No’ any data previously saved data in the offline tool will be lost and you can’t recover the data.
3. Enter your GSTIN in home sheet. Entered GSTIN would be validated only for correct structure
4. Select the applicable Financial Year from the drop-down. It is a mandatory field
5. Download GSTR-9 JSON file from GST portal after logging in to the portal from ‘Prepare Offline’ section of GSTR-9 tile.
6. Open downloaded GSTR-9 JSON file in to the Offline tool. JSON file can’t be generated from Offline tool until GSTR-9 JSON file downloaded from the portal has been opened in the Offline tool.
7. Auto drafted details shall be populated in respective work sheets.
8. Enter additional details/edit auto drafted details as applicable in various worksheets. It is not Mandatory to fill data in all worksheets. The worksheet for which no details need to be declared can be left blank
9. Click Validate Sheet to check the status of validation. In case of validation failure; please check for cells that have failed validation and correct errors as per help text
10.Click on ‘Generate JSON File to Upload ‘ to generate JSON file for upload of GSTR-9 return details prepared offline on GST portal
|Steps for uploading prepared GSTR-9 JSON file on GST portal|
|1. Login to GST Portal and select ‘Returns Dashboard’
2. Select applicable Financial Year and click on “Prepare Offline” option in “Annual Return” tile/Box
3. Upload the JSON prepared using offline Tool using upload option in the return dashboard.
4. The uploaded JSON file would be validated and processed.
5. In case of validation failure upon processing ; errors if any would be shown on portal
6. Post successful upload of data on GST portal ; Taxpayer to Preview the form and file GSTR-9Notes :
You may download the records successfully processed on GST portal anytime by navigating to ‘Services > Returns > Annual Return > Financial Year > Search > Prepare Offline > Download’. On click of download a JSON file would be available for download in about 20 Mins. The downloaded JSON file may be opened in Offline Tool using ‘Open Downloaded GSTR-9 JSON File’ to view/ edit/update details. Post update of details create JSON to upload on GST portal
GST stands for Goods and Services Tax. Some times People called as GST Tax.
Ekvij provides Mock tests in GST Tax for preparing CA Inter, CA IPCC, CA Final, CS executive, CS Professional, CMA Inter, CMA Final, GST practitioner exam and competitive exams.
Mock tests in GST
Ekvij provides Chapter wise Mock tests in GST for preparing CA Inter, CA IPCC, CA Final, CS executive, CS Professional, CMA Inter, CMA Final, GST practitioner exam and competitive exams.
Basics of GST
Concept of Supply
Demands and Recovery
Exemption from GST
Input Tax Credit
Levy of GST
Liability to Pay in Certain Cases
Payment of Tax
Place of Supply
Time of Supply
Value of Supply
Definitions of GST
Tax Invoice and E-Way Bill
Exemption from GST
Input Tax Credit and Its Utilization
Levy and Collection
Location of Supplier and Place of Supply of GST
Payment of Tax
Registration of GST
Returns of GST
Supply under GST
Time of Supply
Value of Supply
direct tax code india
Narendra Modi government aims to simplify the structure of direct tax laws in India into a single legislation Through Direct Taxes Code
- direct tax code india will replace the Income-tax Act, 1961, and other direct tax legislation like the Wealth Tax Act, 1957.
- In 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi led government set up an expert committee to draft a new Direct Taxes Code.
- The report of the task force on DTC was submitted to Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on August 19, 2019